Tuesday, October 5, 2010

scenes of gentrification

After a thoroughly unproductive weekend as a journalist, I took a long walk through my beat today. I walked through Chinatown for the first time in two years, and got caught up in its post-Olympic charm.

Perhaps I never paid too much attention back then, but Chinatown seemed quite different from what I remembered it- the bright red paint, kitschy wall murals, and even the lamp posts seemed so welcoming.



Of course, the gorgeous blue skies and sun also had a hand in affecting my mood and perceptions today.

I then did a general walkabout the Eastside, stopping at the Vancouver Women's Health Collective, and the Carnegie Community Centre, where I ate my lunch. For $3.10, I got: a yam and coconut soup ($0.85), and a veggie burger with potato salad ($2.25). It was delicious and very filling. I couldn't even finish my soup and veggie burger bun.

Then I walked around some more, and bought quite possibly the worst hot chocolate that $3.30 can buy, at Bean Around the World Coffees. Having previously worked at a coffee shop, I like to think that I am knowledgeable on matters of overpriced steamed beverages. So before I even sipped it, I knew that this hot chocolate was bad news. As I suspected, it was a powder based, watery liquid with perhaps the most unappetizing, thin foam layer. And it was lukewarm. I guess it serves me right to expect a "hot" chocolate of reasonable quality that cost less than $4.00 in this city.

As I wandered around, I could not help but notice the visible transformation of the neighborhood in various stages.


An empty, overgrown lot next to the Woodward's building on West Hastings.


Newly renovated office space for lease, on the same street as a Salvation Army shelter and right across the street from the monolithic Woodwards building.


One of my personal favorites on West Hastings street: the Regal Place...


...and right across from it, the brand new Simon Fraser University Centre for Contemporary Arts. As you can see, it is still undergoing final touches.


The remaining vestiges of old West Hastings street. These buildings are survivors, but not for long.

2 comments:

  1. I always find it interesting how expensive things are in Vancouver. Even a small meal at the mall will run you about $10. It is astonishing to me, now I don't usually mind paying that much for a good meal, but mall food is not something I would feel comfortable paying that for.

    Great post and the pictures show the gentrification nicely. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! my old office building is across the street and half a block west of the last picture! Isn't it kind of amazing how quickly the feel of Hastings changes once you hit cambie?

    Next time I see you, remind me that I have things to tell you about your beat!

    ReplyDelete