Thursday, October 7, 2010

overheard on the 7 bus

Tonight, I was riding the bus home from Granville Street when I overheard this uncomfortable exchange:

Girl: So...did our relationship status change, or what?
Guy: What do you mean?
Girl: Well, did you have sexual relations with anyone during the time we were apart?
Guy: I don't know what you mean.
Girl: We had an agreement.
Guy: Well that's not fair. I don't think that it's relevant for me to tell you what happened. I don't see the point....(continues blabbing, beating around the bush)
Girl: But I need to know. Did you or didn't you? If you did, you need to tell me.
Guy: But why is that? I don't see why you see it that way....(continues ad nauseum)

I somewhat admire the guy for not letting up on his Bill Clinton-esque defence tactics for the entirety of the conversation. He denied all allegations to the very end of my shameless eavesdropping. They both disembarked at Granville and West Broadway, but the conversation was clearly far from over.

Looking back, I felt sorry for them both- they were guaranteed not only a shitty night, but the pity of everyone who was in earshot of this overly candid conversation.

It also led me to ponder a more general question: why do people feel the urge to discuss intensely personal matters with their significant others/friends in public places? It's akin to wearing sheer tights with short shirts- you're exposed, and placing yourself squarely in the judging eyes of everyone around you.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. The girl was probably too emotional to notice or care about being judged. If you find out I've been sleeping with another girl, you'd probably be too emotionally disturbed to react as you do normally too.

    Or maybe the girl feels empowered when surrounded by other ppl and she wants the guy to feel shame.

    PS send me the link to your movie reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they might have just been so caught up in it they weren't thinking about the people around them (the audience) at all.

    Either that, or they were just trying to help an aspiring writer out with some fresh material.

    ReplyDelete