Tuesday, October 19, 2010

notes from everywhere

On Monday morning, I dragged myself out of bed early to get to campus for a guest lecture. Normally I only have classes from Tuesday to Friday, but the topic was Time Management and Organization for Journalists- one that I was sure I could use some brushing up on.

The lecture turned out to be one of the most informative 80 minutes so far this semester. Chris Cannon, the guest lecturer, is a freelance journalist and former US Marine Corps officer. Contrary to my expectations, he doesn't wake up at 4:30 a.m. every morning for exercises- he said he wakes up at 10 on most mornings, in fact.

The "life as a freelancer" part was actually much more interesting than the "how I organize my life as a journalist" part, although both were equally informative and entertaining.

This morning, I wrote the Media Law midterm exam. It didn't go as badly as I thought. All that anxiety, for naught!

In other news, my current mot de jour is "dread"- a rather shallow tribute to Joan Didion, who has captivated my imagination of late.

I've been reading The Year of Magical Thinking, which I almost dismissed after the first chapter as rather dull. It was missing the usual lyricism and flow of her other works (such as her essays in Slouching Toward Bethlehem)- but it's slowly grown on me.

Speaking of growing affections- I went downtown today, and found this store on West Pender and Carrall St:


Everything you need to be a spy. How awesome is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment