Tuesday, September 21, 2010

daily rituals


















Every morning after breakfast, I sit down at my desk and check my email on my laptop. Then, I load my news for the day on my iPod touch. It struck me that before coming to Vancouver, reading mobile news was never a part of my daily life. The big difference between my lifestyle in Montreal and here is the amount of time I spend on public transit- namely, the bus. During the 20 minute commute to the UBC campus, I find myself no longer listening mindlessly to music, as I did in the first few days of classes. Instead, I read about wars in distant places, housing problems in Canada, and North Korea's latest provocation- all on a screen the size of my hand.

I can't say that I am completely seduced by this paperless trend, though. The evidence: a pile of books on my desk, lined up and ready to be read:













I've only begun to read Anthony Lane's Nobody's Perfect. Lane has been a film reviewer for the New Yorker since 1993, and the book is a collection of his reviews. While that may sound rather unappealing to read, Lane's wit and sincere (for lack of a better term) approach to writing about films continues to pull me through this book.

What's on your bookshelf?

No comments:

Post a Comment